Age Groups & Proficiency
Children are divided into Age Groups: U6, U7, U8, U9, U10, U11, U12, U13 and U14. Your child will be placed into an age group determined by the age of your child at midnight on 30 September.
To ensure children can be in an age group with their friends during regular Nippers the children may (at the discretion of the Age Manager) join an Age group above or below their age. However, they will be required to meet the water proficiency requirements for that age group. During competition, Nippers must compete in their correct age group.
Nippers is open to every child, irrespective of swimming ability. There is no swimming proficiency required for U6 and U7 age groups however the following assessment will be undertaken during a normal Nippers session.
- U6s From a standing position in waist deep water, perform a front glide and recover to secure position. Perform a back or front float holding a buoyant aid and recover to a buoyant position.
- U7s From a standing position in waist deep water, perform a front glide, kick for 3m and recover to secure position.
For U8s and above, a level of swimming proficiency is required for your child’s safety and to reflect the swimming ability needed to participate in age appropriate water activities. If your child is unable to attain the noted proficiency, they are still very welcome to participate in all beach and wade events but cannot join in any water events or competition. We ask you to work with your child to attain the required level.
- All U8s are required to complete a timed 25m pool swim.
- U9-U14s are required to complete a timed 200m pool swim.
- Competition proficiency assessments are completed during competition training when conditions are suitable. See below for proficiency assessment information.
If your child attends regular swimming lessons and you would like to undertake the proficiency swim via your regular swimming instructor, this can be arranged provided the following:
- Your instructor is willing & qualified to provide this written confirmation (via email).
- The pool is 25m long.
- If the following is able to be done please have your instructor send an email confirming this to the email address below together with child’s name and swim time.
If your child does not attend regular swimming lessons proficiency will be undertaken in the Ocean Pool – further details to be advised.
Proficiency Questions: Contact Gem, Nipper Water Proficiency Officer at [email protected]