Competition & Carnivals
What about competition?
Nippers encourages healthy and friendly competition to develop the safety and lifesaving skills we teach during the season.
- Formal surf life saving carnivals are held for the U9’s and older. These are held at various northern beaches throughout the season, culminating in the State Carnival held in March. Please check our Calendar of Events for more details.
- Carnivals are split between beach carnivals and water carnivals.
Beach Carnival events include a 1km soft sand run, sprints, flags and mixed relays usually held at Queenscliff, North Steyne, Narrabeen and Collaroy. All Nippers can compete at beach carnivals.
Water Carnival events include, swim, board, ironman, board relay, board rescue and Cameron relay usually held at Newport, Freshwater, Queenscliff/Manly & Collaroy. To compete at water carnivals, the Nipper must train with the water team.
- The Carnival fee structure is based on a single payment that covers the costs of all beach and/or water carnivals. See our Membership Fees page for further information.
- Nippers holds its own Club championships in February providing an opportunity for friendly competition between our Nippers. The events for Club championships include fun and team based activities.
- The Sunday Swim is a handicapped surf swim race held at 11:00 am each Sunday. There are usually two distances, depending on ability (or confidence). Meet at the patrol tent.
- Other events during the season include surf competitions and adventure paddles. Information about these events will be available via Newsletter, website and social media pages.
Code of Conduct
Parents have an important role in the delivery and support of sporting activities for their own and other children. With it comes a clear responsibility to act in a constructive and encouraging manner at all times. As part of this responsibility the following Code of Behaviour has been adopted by the Avalon Beach SLSC Junior Activities Group (Nippers):
Parents, Caregivers, Spectators Code of Behaviour
- Remember that children participate in sport for their enjoyment and development.
- Encourage children to participate, do not force them.
- Focus on the child’s efforts and performance rather than winning or losing. Set realistic goals.
- Encourage children to always play according to the rules and to settle disagreements without resorting to hostility or violence.
- Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake or losing a competition.
- Remember children learn best by example. Appreciate good performances and skillful plays by all participants.
- Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from sporting activities.
- Respect official’s decisions and teach children to do likewise.
- Show appreciation for Coaches, Age Managers, Officials, and Administrators. Without them, your child could not participate.
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of others.
- If you disagree with an Official, Coach or Age Manager, raise the issue through the appropriate channels rather than question the Official’s judgment and honesty in public.
- Remember that most Officials, Coaches, and Age Managers give their own time and effort for your child’s involvement.
Nippers Code of Behaviour
- Compete within the rules, and within the spirit of Surf Lifesaving and Avalon Beach SLSC.
- Never argue with an official. If you disagree have your Age Manager, coach or team manager approach the official during a break or after the competition.
- Control your temper. Verbal abuse of officials and sledging of other competitors, deliberately distracting or provoking an opponent are not acceptable or permitted behaviours.
- Work equally hard for yourself and/or your team.
- Be a good sport. Applaud all good performances whether they are given by Avalon Beach SLSC or other clubs.
- Respect the clubhouse. Treat it as you would treat your home. Leave it tidy.
- Respect the equipment you use, wash it and return it after use. Report any damage.
- Treat all participants as you would like to be treated. Do not bully, interfere or take unfair advantage of another competitor.
- Co-operate with your Coach, Age Managers, team mates, Officials and opponents. Without them there would be no competition.
- Participate for your own enjoyment and benefit, not just to please parents and coaches.
By joining Avalon Beach SLSC’s Junior Activities, the Nipper, Parent and/or Caregiver acknowledges and accepts these Codes of Conduct.
Teams Selection Policy
The objective of the Avalon Beach SLSC is to select the most consistent and competitive team to represent Avalon Beach in each age group. We encourage all Nippers to compete and represent our Club. Carnivals are fun and engender team spirit.
• Age Managers are to select teams in accordance with the selection policy objective.
• Age Managers and Coaches will select teams based on ability and performance at training and carnivals.
• All age relay, March Past, R&R will be selected by the relevant discipline coach and ratified by the JAC Executive.
The person with overall responsibility for the team is the Club appointed Team Manager. The Team Manager will liaise with the Carnival Referee and senior carnival officials.