The first Avalon Beach Surf Life Saving clubhouse was designed by Architect Mr B W Ford, comprising a Club House and adjacent open air dressing pavilions. It was constructed by Warringah Council and officially opened on January 23, 1934 by The Hon J M Dunningham, Minister for Labour and Industry.
Second renovations occurred in 1950, the third major renovations in 1961, and the fourth and most significant transformation to date, completed in 2014.
First proposed in 2006 by Club members Robert Hopton and former President Christine Hopton, the concept for a major renovation of the Surf Club was adopted by Pittwater Council in the Avalon Beach Plan of Management in 2007. The project was driven and run by Club members up to the commencement of construction.
Designed by architects and Club members Richard Cole and Robert Hopton, the design of the building complements the landscape. The shape of the roof reflects the abstract form of the sand dunes, and the plane of the ceiling and eave echoes the plane of the ocean and broad horizontal of the horizon. The Club has created a robust building that will stand the test of time. The building is naturally ventilated, highly insulated, uses minimal energy and collects its own rainwater and solar power.
The building is designed to be welcoming and open to the general public and is frequently used by community groups attending yoga, fitness and dance classes as well as event bookings for special occasions, weddings, wakes and corporate events. Refer to our Venue Hire page for further information on hiring the building for an event.
Avalon Beach Surf Life Saving Club acknowledges and thanks the following for their generous contributions to this building: